Sunday, January 6, 2019

Praying with Jane: 31 Days through the Prayers of Jane Austen Is Just Right for Our Fast Paced World

...my thoughts....

We live in such a fast paced world that even our spiritual habits can be fast-tracked. With online bible studies and podcasts from our favorite church sermons we can fit in our spiritual needs on the go.  Or so it would seem.  Are we better off in such a manner? 

Jane Austen is more famous now than she would have considered possible.  Imagine the quiet society the author lived in and compare it with our lives today.  Imagine her sitting at her desk writing in her journal or perhaps outdoors on a blanket reading her bible.  I can imagine her carving time in her day for reading her bible, writing her thoughts or discussing her thoughts on a verse with her beloved sister, Cassandra.  Many today find it difficult to find time to simply sit and reset their minds on their spiritual needs.  I find myself seemingly running out of time when I know I have the same 24 hours every day, just as those who went before me.  Our lives today truly are busy, but we simply use our time differently.

Slowing time down can be done but it takes practice.  It also takes practice to ignore our phones in order to breathe deep and get into quiet times of reflection. We still have sixty minutes to the hour, that will not change.   I find that for myself, reading books like Praying with Jane help me slow down and pause for much needed spiritual boost.  Every care in the world still awaits but I am better equipped to manage them.  Less stress is one of my goals for the new year so relaxing with Jane came at a very good time for me.

If you like Jane Austen and want to give your spiritual side a boost, pick up a copy Praying With Jane by Rachel Dodge.  Rachel also has reading guides and discussions on her website.  This book is on my Kindle app so it is easy to access on my phone or tablet.  Just right for those times when I am waiting for an appointment or at the bus stop for my grand-kids. It is time well spent rather than watching the clock.

...from the publisher...

The charm of Jane Austen and her novels has been enjoyed for over 200 years by readers around the world. Much has been written about her fascinating life, yet little is known about Jane's spiritual side. In this lovely 31-day devotional, you will get an in-depth look at Miss Austen's vibrant, steadfast prayer and faith life. Her intimate relationship with the Father comes to life through her exquisite prayers, touching biographical anecdotes, intimate excerpts from family letters and memoirs, and illuminating scenes from her novels.

Spiritual insights and Scripture references shed light on the profound meaning behind Miss Austen's prayers and the enduring truths they contain. Each day ends with a key Bible verse and invitation to "pray with Jane," helping to ignite and deepen your own vibrant relationship with the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...