"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." - Henry David Thoreau
When I was 16, we studied Transcendentalism in English Literature. Thoreau and Emerson were our main focus of study. Many of the girls I went to high school with preferred Thoreau and Walden's Pond while I chose Emerson. Perhaps I wanted to be different but I really did like Ralph Waldo. I went to a parochial, all girl high school. It was strict but I enjoyed myself and I had some very good teachers.
I think that we liked the transendental writers because they were a bit unconventional. It was the late 60's and it was interesting to read about people from the "olden days" who were just a bit different than the norm. Our music was getting pretty deep with meanings and we liked to discuss the lyrics at length. So too did we discuss Emerson and Thoreau at length. Perhaps many of the deep discussions we had in class and also among friends are why I was attracted to Philosophy as one of my concentrations for my degree. I do like to ponder and discuss.
Today, I am thinking about what I want to do when I grow up, especially now that I have a college degree!
Musings about life, love, books, sewing, creating, family and the journey of a lifetime!
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reviewing: Wooing The Competition Rival by Melissa Jagears
Everyone has a special talent yet Raven Owens had yet to discover hers. She can't cook, can't sew and has yet to prove herself to h...
-
About the Book Title: No Small Storm Author: Anne Mateer Genre: Historical/Historical Romance Release Date: August, 201...
-
About the Book Title: Liza’s Second Chance Author: Molly Jebber Genre: Christian Amish Fiction Release Date: January 30, 201...
Interesting high school class you had. Love it. Enjoy dreaming about what to be when you grow up! Be it all! Go for it!
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween!