Saturday, July 23, 2011

Placement Challenge and the Friday Night Sew In

Ginger Joe loves projects!
And...whether I am sewing or typing
he wants to be right in the middle!

I belong to the Spokane Modern Quilt Guild. We were given 6 fat eighths from the Jay McCarroll Habitat with the challenge to make a placemat using all 6 prints.  The only other fabrics we could use were solids.  I started to make squares but when I laid this all out on the table, I liked the diagonal aspect with this eclectic group of prints.  As I looked at other member's finished products I realized that my abilities for machine quilting just are not there yet.  However, I enjoyed the project and the process. As you can see, our kitten Ginger Joe liked it too.
Finished project...I should have shown a closeup of the quilting here. It does give it more pizazz.  I am still working on my machine tension while trying to be creative. If I get a bee in my bonnet and use some of my other fabrics to make another one I may just do some applique on top of the diagonals.  All in all, I learned a lot in this challenge.  Now give me a dress or a home decorating project and I have more confidence and surges of creativity.  Why?  That is the question! 
I decided to take the opportunity to finish my project last night, sipping my favorite wine and joining others for the Friday Night Sew In over at Handmade By Heidi's blog where the projects are creative and inspiring.  Heidi and her cousin Bobbi over at Crafty Vegas Mom take turns hosting this monthly event where UFO's are completed and new surges of creativity spread across blogland.  It was fun to participate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...