Saturday, November 4, 2017

For the Love of Reading!

I feel blessed to have the opportunity to read whatever I want. Sometimes it is a traditional book full of honest to goodness real paper....or an e-book on my tablet, phone or
laptop....syncing allows me to have an e-book with me at all times. I also have an audio book ready to "read" when I crave a story and want to multi-task. My 8th grade teacher taught us to read in "snatches of time" even if it was only 5 minutes at a time.

Here is the old Heath Library,
 one of the old Carnegie Libraries in Spokane
My mother was an avid reader who read to us often. I came from a large family so sometimes her lap was overflowing to a few of us sitting on the floor by the chair. It was a treat when she read us a chapter book such as Pollyanna. Bedtime reading was great and as we crowded on the bed to listen before prayers, sometimes we could talk her into two chapters. Trips to the library were part of our routine as kids. Sometimes Dad would take us and just patiently read the paper in the car or sit a blanket on the library's lawn while we chose our treasured books.

 Summer reading programs began in earnest with the wistful dream of getting all the stickers on a bookmark presented to us by the librarian.  I can't remember what the prizes were when we completed our list but I can tell you the anticipation each summer was exciting.

The love of reading has been passed down to my daughters who enjoyed many hours of listening to my husband and I reading to them.  Library visits were a fun way to spend an afternoon.  Books by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume were favored gifts that were read and re-read over time.  Reading was a favorite pastime that

crowded out any chance of "I'm bored" slipping outside their lips.

Now I am happy to see that this love of reading has been passed along to my grandchildren.  From the experienced to the youngest who is beginning to sound out words they love books!  I have always been amazed at the vocabulary of these children who have been exposed to reading.  "I am thrilled when I hear the comments that the book was better than the movie!"  My heart is full when I see some of those favorites being pulled off a shelf yet again to be read and treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...