Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day, a Day to Honor the Brave

On this weekend of remembering those who served our country and gave the "ultimate sacrifice" I am remembering special members of my family who served, yet didn't give their all in the field of battle.   My Father-in-law was a Marine in the Radar Battalion during World War II. He earned the Purple Heart and is very proud of his service. He joined the Marines for a six year tour of duty in 1939, before the Bombing of Pearl Harbor. He never speaks of his experience in battle, choosing, as he has long said, to remember good things in his life. He served in the South Pacific and his mother told of her letters from him that arrived censored, with holes snipped throughout, making it difficult to read. He is a very strong man with courage that I admire. He met his wife, my mother-in-law in the Bremerton Shipyards in 1946.  They married six weeks later after a whirlwind romance. Today we are having a party to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary. It will be an honor to see the many children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren all together again. A testimony of their love and courage to make a life together that is an inspiration to their children. My husband was a Marine during the Vietnam War but was not selected to fight in that war. I was happy he was not called to serve, but his service, nonetheless was very important to the strength of our country. I am proud of him and the strength, dignity and most of all discipline he learned in the Marine Corps.    

2 comments:

  1. Hola querida,

    Muy buena esta entrada...bonita homenaje q haces a tus familiares, sobre todo a tu papa....
    Aunque no sepa hablar inglés, quiero agradecer tu cariño y sobre todo tu amistad, pues esta mas comprobado q no hay idiomas ni fronteras para las amistades....gracias querida...
    Besos,
    Lany

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! It is so important to remember these brave ones who have served our country so well and honorably. Thank-you for sharing the stories of those you love with us!

    Just saw your kind comment on my blog--thank-you for ALL your visits--I always appreciate it!

    About your question on the card--I made it with a printed image from Crafty Secrets Creative Scraps, and then printed from my computer the new paper pattern images from their new CD (available soon--I'll let everyone know on my blog as soon as it's available!) Otherwise, it's just a regular handmade card!

    Hope this answers your question...and I hope you're having a wonderful day!

    Julie

    P.S. I would LOVE to go junkin' with you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...