Friday, February 20, 2015

Faith-ful Friday

It is the first Friday of lent. As we go through these forty days leading up to Easter many people give things up and try to stick it out through the duration. I have during my childhood toyed with what I could give up. Not that it was a toying idea but simply that I was never successful in my resolve. Perhaps I didn't understand or just didn't have the willpower to say no thank you to the endless offerings of cookies, pies, cinnamon rolls or penny candy.

This year my mind is sticking to the idea of adding something challenging instead. I have seen this idea a few times this past week and the notion is sticking with me. I have long known that I need to adopt an exercise regime. With my husband's help, we have set up my own workout bench with weights nearby that I can handle. My goal is to give strength to my body and improve my life. I have been skating along getting weaker and feeling a little less energetic. My sleep averages about three and one-half hours a night.
devotions-sacred-marriage
I have begun reading a book I picked up about two years ago called Every Body Matters by Gary Thomas.  It is a different perspective than weight loss books or quick tricks. It is teaching me that it honors God more when we take care of the one body that we are given in our life. One of the passages is Proverbs 23:19-21:

 "Listen my son, and be wise, 
and set your heart on the right path: 
Do not join those who drink too much wine
 or gorge themselves on meat, 
for drunkards and gluttons become poor, 
and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I am tired and weak and it is up to me to take care of this body and soul. It is my goal this lent to really focus on this hard task of getting stronger and finding true restful sleep. I cannot do this alone and I ask God to help me. It will not be an easy task so it is appropriate to begin this in lent when we think of Christ and all he gave for us. Why should I continue on this path of weakness when I can give my best to become strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...