Monday, December 6, 2010

Nativity Parade

This is the Feast of St. Nicholas.  When I was a child, my family celebrated this old German tradition of receiving treats from the good saint, who eventually became Jolly old St. Nick!  The story held that children put their shoes out on the step and on the following morning, December 6th, they found treats in the shoes.  We didn't put all of our shoes out overnight though; imagine 10 pairs of shoes out at once!   In our home, one of the big kids went to the door while we ate breakfast and found" two huge bowls with candy, or nuts or fruit....it was pretty exciting.  In my minds eye there never was such big bowls of treats! 

Today, I am enjoying my Nativity Scene.  My husband built this stable, finishing the outside with leftover grout from one of our tiling projects.  He made roof the roof from the bark of a tree he chopped down from the back yard.  The stable has a second story balcony inside, with a railing made from twigs left from the tree. 

I bought the little statues from a favorite long gone Department Store called The Crescent.  I believe they were on sale for $12.00 about 50% off.  At the time, 1977, that was spendy but they were just right.

Here are some close ups of some of the figures:



Gloria in Excelsis Deo

A New Born King

While Shepherds Kept Their Watch...

We Three Kings of Orient are....Bearing Gifts.....

I am joining the Nativity Parade with Char over over at Crap I've made.....click on her link in the side bar~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...