Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy Birthday to the United States Marine Corp.

For 236 years the few and the proud have served our country. Many think only of the battles fought but I think of the men today who individually signed on to serve and protect our nation. My 89 year old  Father-in-law was in the Radar Battalion in the Pacific Theater during World War II.  He earned a Purple Heart but never talks about it.  He doesn't talk about the fighting either. He has maintained that he likes to focus on the good time. I think he is one of the bravest men I know.

My husband joined the Marines in 1969. I was devastated. He was my high school sweetheart and I just could not bear the thought of  him leaving during the Vietnam war. The draft was still being enforced and while his service could be deferred while he was in college he chose to enlist. He was not called to battle, for that I thank God.

Both men honor the Both are proud they served and I believe that sets them apart. The way they stand, the discipline, the stick-to-it-iveness is amazing.

The Commandant of the Marines sent a special message that I found on Facebook today. If you know a Marine in active duty, thank him for his service! If you know a Marine veteran, honor them too!

Semper Fidelis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...