Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Memories in my kitchen of Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. I enjoy planning for it, baking for it and pondering whether I should try something new or keep the same traditions. This year I will be blessed once again with family around the table and memories of holiday dinners from long ago.


I remember being so nervous roasting my first turkey. I got lots of advice from my sister, and then absorbed every word about roasting turkeys in my Betty Crocker Cookbook. It turned out to be far easier than the first pot roast I made for my new husband all those years ago. I had to laugh it was so easy; I decided from then on that Turkey Day would become my forte.

Last year I replaced my old speckled dark blue roaster pan. I purchased that pan in mint condition for $2.50 at the neighborhood St. Vincent DePaul Thrift store. I used that roaster for more than 30 years when finally, the finish was kaput. I wanted to hang onto it for the longest time because I get sentimental about these “treasures.” When Thanksgiving rolled around and I used that new roaster for the first time, all sentimentality for that pan was forgotten. Even my gravy was a snap to make in the new model.

I still remember and will remember the great feeling I had when I bought that old roaster because I learned to cook with that pan. Those are great memories. This year I am looking forward to the memories we will make this year in the kitchen. I will be joined by my cat, who will be camped out by the oven until everybody else comes in to supervise the progress of the feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are connections between online friends!

Reviewing A Royal Christmas by Melody Carlson

...from the publisher...   Adelaide Smith is too busy for fairy tales. She’s been working hard to put herself through law school, and...